This day trip in the Roman Countryside will take you through scenic landscapes inhabited since Ancient Roman times. It will allow you to stroll through some of the small historic towns such as Castel Gandolfo, overlooking Lake Albano at about 30 kilometres south-east of Rome, best known as the summer residence of the Pope. In fact, Castel Gandolfo’s Papal Palace and gardens are actually part of the Vatican State.
The origins of the city date back to the 16th Century BC. The Pope’s summer residence and the adjacent Barberini Palace – which house masterpieces designed by Carlo Maderno – are the perfect examples of the Italian Baroque and Renaissance. The whole residence is surrounded by the Imperial villa gardens with an artificial grotto of the crater lakes.
If you wish, we can arrange a stop for a wine tasting and a tour of a local winery. You can taste the Roman culinary specialities in a typical country trattoria, or simply enjoy a local lunch with plenty of home-made wine. This can be decided in conjunction with the driver that morning when you all meet.
After lunch, we will head to Rome along the old Appian Way, one of the first ancient Roman military roads. Among the most impressive sights you will see along the way is the tomb of Cecilia Metella, the daughter of a Roman General who lived during the time of Julio Cesar. The tour will allow you to view the Catacombs, the curious underground maze of tunnels hallowed out of volcanic rock where the early Christians, persecuted by the Roman General, had to practice their religion in secret and bury their dead.
Once your group is together, you will then embark on a relaxing drive through the countryside. This will take approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. This day trip in the Roman Countryside will take you through scenic landscapes inhabited since Ancient Roman times.
If you wish, we can arrange a stop for wine tasting and a tour of a local winery, where you will enjoy a taste of the Roman culinary specialties. Or simply enjoy a typical local lunch with plenty of home-made wine. This can be decided with the driver that morning when you all meet.
After lunch, we will head to Rome along the old Appian Way, one of the first ancient Roman military roads. Drive by the bath of Caracalla, Coliseum and Venice Square.
The tour is also available as a "Sharing Tour "
If you wish to meet people and save money then we recommend you visiting our sharing tour website. Click the link below. Then choose the port that you will be arriving at. A drop menu of all the tours will occur. Locate the tour that you are interested. You can join an existing group or create one if there is no group to join. We recommend you post the tour on cruise critic to promote members to join your tour.
- Pick up time: 8-8:30am or as per your confirmation.
- Return time: 4-5pm or as per your confirmation.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT WE RESERVE ALL RIGHTS TO CHANGE THE ORDER OF ITINERARY. IF NECESSARY AT OUR DISCRETION DUE TO NATURAL CAUSES(ENVIRONMENTAL) OR POLITICAL REASONS(STRIKE/PROTEST)
One of our professional, knowledgeable English speaking driver guides will be waiting at pick up location (where you will be tendered) or agreed location at 8 am, or according to the agreed time. Your driver will be holding a sign with your or your party’s name on it.
Suggested 7:30 am to avoid big crowds at least in the first part of the morning (it is flexible then you decide when). Back to the port at 4:30 pm (with plenty of time not to miss the ship)
PICK UP PLACE: Right from dock site. As soon as you disembark your ship you will see your private driver holding a sign with your name on it.
- Ports (Pick up is normally 8am or otherwise agreed upon)
Our escort driver will be waiting at the gangway of your cruise ship or outside the cruise ship terminal. The escort driver will be holding up a sign with the group’s name on it. The email that accompanies the voucher you receive at the time of booking will indicate the meeting point for each specific port. We recommend that you meet onboard before exiting the ship. This way you are all together when meeting your escort driver and the tour can commence much more efficiently. Otherwise, the wait time for others will be 20minutes, after which time the tour will proceed.
The escort driver will be waiting at the arrival lobby holding a sign with the name in which the reservation was made under or otherwise stated.
Escort driver will be waiting at the lobby of the hotel. Normally pick up is 8:30am or otherwise stated.
The escort driver will be waiting outside the main doors of the building.
RomaRoma, RM, Italia
- Luxury, private air-conditioned vehicle.
- English-speaking driver or escort guide.
- Parking, highway tolls, fuel, all taxes and driver maintenance included.
- Gratuities ranging between 10-20 percent(optional but appreciated)
- No admission to any sites
- PRICES ARE IN EURO
- EVERY EXTRA HOUR IS 60 EURO
- If interested in seeing the Catacombs. let us know. Catacombs run privately. They open from 10am to 5pm. Every hour a group tour starts in Italian and English. the tour runs for approximately mins to 1 hour. Entrance fee €9 per person including the guide service. Individuals under 18 years of age, the cost is E5 per person. On Sunday they are opened in the morning only.
- They do provide private tours (Catacombs) only for groups more than 20ppl.
- For groups of more than 8 people from Civitavecchia Port we only provide multiple minivans with the maximum number of 8 people in each minivan. This is because minibuses are prohibited from entering the town center. Therefore, a waste of time will incur walking to the destinations, by minivans you will get to your destination directly without wasting time.